Tuesday, February 26

Ham & Cabbage Soup

I got cabbage in my Farm Fresh to you box this week, and I had a ham hock in the freezer. I wanted to throw those two items together, and when I came across this recipe from Paleo Diet Lifestyles, I knew exactly what I was making for dinner tonight!My house already smells yummy, and it's just from me making my own Ham Bone Broth as the start of my soup. Hope this recipe inspires you as well.
Cheers, From My Kitchen to Yours!

Ham & Cabbage Soup


Ingredients:
1 small head of cabbage
2 tbsp bacon grease or olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
6 stalks of celery, chopped
1 leftover ham hock and extra meat or 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
12 cups water
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large stock pot, pour 8-10 cups of water over your leftover ham hock and meat. Let simmer on Low heat for 6 hours, or in the crock pot while you are away at work.

About an hour before you are ready to eat, in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat melt the bacon grease. Sautee the onions and garlic in the bacon grease for 5 to 7 minutes, just until the onions are translucent and tender.

Add the cabbage, bell pepper, celery, carrots and ham and toss with the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, frequently stirring to prevent anything from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Add the vegetable mix to the broth and meat in the large stock pot. Allow the soup to come to a simmer and cook partially covered for 35 to 45 minutes. Season to taste with freshly cracked black pepper, but taste the liquid before adding any salt, as the ham will most likely give off enough saltiness on its own.

Remove the bay leaves and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback, please share!